Help for Hoarding Behaviour
I offer practical help and support for people affected by hoarding disorder (whether diagnosed or not).
The assistance I provide is hands on help within your home. I work with you to reduce the amount of stuff in your space and organise it methodically. My approach is tailored to each individual and your particular circumstances.
Hoarding disorder and chronic disorganisation are very complex issues. I treat each person’s case as unique. Using a non-judgmental, sensitive and motivational approach, I work at a pace best suited to the person I’m working with.
I do not condone enforced clear-outs as these can cause far more harm than good. It is incredibly important that you are ultimately making the decisions about items to let go with my help, guidance and motivation. This empowers you to continue to make significant changes to your space and therefore your life.
How do you know if you’ve got Hoarding Disorder?
A useful tool is the Clutter Image Rating Test published by Oxford University Press. This uses the Clutter Image Rating scale which is globally used and asks you to score each room in your house based on that scale. Scores including 4 and above for any room are a cause of concern and expert assistance is recommended.
Another way to judge this is looking at the questions below. If you answer “yes” to some or all of the questions below then you share beliefs which people with hoarding disorder often have:
- Do you have strong emotional attachment to your belongings e.g. do you find yourself thinking “throwing this away would be like throwing away part of myself”?
- At the thought of letting items go, do you feel anxiety or discomfort?
- Do you find yourself holding on to belongings because you fear losing memories?
- Are you reluctant for others to touch your things because it makes you feel out of control?
- When trying to let go of items do you find it difficult because you think “this could be useful in the future” or “I am responsible for finding a use for this”?
- Do you find it hard to make decisions about what to let go of and how to organise your possessions?
- Are there rooms, spaces and furniture in your home which you cannot use for their intended purpose e.g. clothes in the bath, sofas not visible under stuff or entryways and accessways blocked?
- Have you avoided inviting people to your home because you do not want them to see its current state?
- Have friends, family or neighbours expressed concern about your living conditions?
I would love to help you declutter and organise your home so please do get in touch!
You can contact me by completing my contact form or via the telephone number or email address:
t: 07379 417676